Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Grade: Moderate
- Duration: 12 Days
- Destination: Nepal
- Activities: Trekking, Annapurna Trekking
- Departure: Flexible
- Best Seasons: Mar - May, Sep - Dec
- Highest Altitude: 4,130 mtrs.
- Start-Ends: Kathmandu - Kathmandu
- Price of Package:USD 1040
The most popular hiking in the Annapurna range, the Annapurna Base Camp trek is getting its rising in popularity among all types of hikers visiting Nepal. Annapurna Base Camp Trekking trail goes alongside terraced rice paddies, lush rhododendron forests, and high-altitude landscapes with the dominating view of Annapurna Mountain Range. It passes through gushing waterfalls, ethnic villages, terraced farmlands, and lush rhododendron forests, providing one with the picturesque panorama of the mountains that house inside the Annapurna Conservation Area Project
The Annapurna Base Camp Trek is popularly also known as the Annapurna Sanctuary trek. The journey to its base camp is on top of the best trekking routes in the world. Like many other trails in the region, the trek begins in Pokhara, specifically the Dhampus ridge. The height/altitude of Annapurna Base Camp at 4130 meters is the ultimate destination of this trekking trip.
Highlights of Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Wander around Gurung Villages
- Amaze by the view of Lush Forests of Rhododendrons and oaks
- Cross the numerous Perennial rivers and suspension bridges
- Take a glimpse of the Nepalese Rural lifestyle
- Taste the delicious Nepalese Food Sets
- Gaze the stunning Annapurna and Dhaulagiri Massif and the Star ways over the mountain range
- Visit unique Gurung settlements including Ghandruk
- Shoot the amazing sunrise view over the mountain range during Ghorepani and Poon Hill Trek
- Overwhelmed with beautiful mountain vistas
- Capture the alluring sunrise and sunsets
- Enjoy your rewarding evening at the lakeside of Pokhara valley
Annapurna means ‘the goddess of the harvests’. The mountain measures 8,091 meters above sea level. It is the tenth highest mountain on earth.
It follows an exquisite river basin called the Annapurna Sanctuary with deep gorges, narrow and dazzling rivers, and glacier valleys. The route gives a chance to view more than 10 enormous mountains serially.
The route often combines with a visit to Ghandruk, Ghorepani, and Poon Hill Trek. Several extensions of the route take to Muktinath and Lhomanthang, which are among other major attractions of the route. Annapurna Conservation Area subsumes the entire surrounding area. It, therefore, takes you deep into the mountains to the amphitheaters of the Annapurna, unraveling the beauty of the rich nature and culture of the region.
Alternatives & Extension of Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Some different routes are leading to Annapurna Base Camp. The trail goes in a clockwise direction. It starts from Nayapul to Tikhedhunga, Ghorepani, Tadapani, Chhomrung, Deurali, and lastly to the Annapurna Base Camp. The trail will also take you to the popular Ghorepani Poon Hill. It usually takes 10-12 days to cover this route depending upon the time of the trekker. Because the path mostly goes through the highlands of the region, high altitude might be a challenge. Another challenge might be the slippery nature of the classical route. The popular shortcut trail to get the Annapurna Base Camp Trek is via Ghandruk village. Ghandruk is a famous Gurung village in the region.
Autumn (September to November), and spring (March to May) are the best seasons for the trek when it is sunny and warm and when you could get clear views of the mountains. December to February would be favorable if you want to avoid the crowds and the heavy traffic and enjoy some time alone with nature. However, the temperature could be harsh during that time of the year. Trekking in the monsoons (June to August) will be affected by rain, but the summer trek could be a boon for any keen botanist.
Trekking Route Map
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300m/4,264ft)
- Day 02: Fly to Pokhara (827m/2,700ft), trek to Ghandruk (1940m/6360 ft): 30 minutes flight, 5 - 6 hours trek
- Day 03: Ghandruk to Chhomrong (2170m/7120ft): 5 - 6 hours
- Day 04: Chhomrong to Bamboo (2310m/7578ft): 4 - 5 hours
- Day 05: Bamboo to Deurali (3230m/10,595ft): 3 - 4 hours
- Day 06: Deurali to Annapurna Base Camp (4,130m/13,545ft) via Machhapuchhre Base Camp (3700m/12135ft): 5- 6 hours
- Day 07: Annapurna Base Camp (4,130m/13,545ft) to Bamboo
- Day 08: Bamboo to Jhinu Danda (1760m/5770 ft): 5 - 6 hours
- Day 09: Trek to Siwai then drive to Pokhara: 6 hours trek, 1 hour drive
- Day 10: Drive / Fly to Kathmandu
- Day 11: Full Day Sightseeing in Kathmandu Valley
- Day 12: Departure to your own destination
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300m/4,264ft)
After your arrival at Tribhuvan Internaional Airport, Kathmandu (1,300m/4,264ft), a representative from Oriental Journeys will receive you and take to Hotel in Thame. There will be a briefing session for trekking program and introduction with your guide.
Day 02: Fly to Pokhara (827m/2,700ft), trek to Ghandruk (1940m/6360 ft): 30 minutes flight, 5 - 6 hours trek
Your guide from Oriental Journeys will pick you up from your hotel and you will drive to domestic airport in Kathmandu. After a flight of 30 minutes, you will land in Pokhara. We have a private vehicle arrangement at Pokhara to drop you at Nayapul. You will catch a local vehicle there at Nayapul that will drop you to Ulleri after an hour drive. Then your trek starts at Ulleri. Walking ascending trail you will reach fat Ghandruk (1940m/6360 ft.
Overnight at teahouse lodge
Day 03: Ghandruk to Chhomrong (2170m/7120ft): 5 - 6 hours
As usual, your trekking program starts after breakfast You will experience friendly villagers with smiling faces. Gurung community, culture, nature and their warm hospitality are the major attraction of this area.
For night you will stay at local lodge at Chhomrong.
Day 04: Chhomrong to Bamboo (2310m/7578ft): 4 - 5 hours
Trek starts after breakfast. The trail out of Chhomrong descends via 2500 stone steps and crosses the Chhomrong Khola on a swaying suspension bridge. You can enjoy photography on the way. The trail near Sinuwa is uphill. You have to pass through a beautiful forest to reach Kuldihar. There is easy downhill walk to Bamboo.
Overnight at teahouse in Bamboo.
Day 05: Bamboo to Deurali (3230m/10,595ft): 3 - 4 hours
You have to walk through damp and cold bamboo forest for the first part of trek. The astounding views of the glacial river please your heart. You can visit Hinku Cave on the way. The trail passes closer to the river before climbing again to Deurali, You will be enjoying the scenic stretch of the day and the vertical rock face cliffs above with bands of wispy waterfalls.
Overnight in Deurali.
Day 06: Deurali to Annapurna Base Camp (4,130m/13,545ft) via Machhapuchhre Base Camp (3700m/12135ft): 5- 6 hours
Deurali to Annapurna Base Camp (4,130m/13,545ft) via Machhapuchhre Base Camp (3700m/12135ft): 5- 6 hours
Today, you have to climb gently through a river bed and walk steep trail over to the mountain side. You will be enjoying strenous hike from Bagar to Machhapuchhre Base Camp. The majestic Machhapuchhre offers you its own wonderful view along with the view of Mt. Hiunchuli, Annapurna South, Annapurna I, Annapurna III, Gandharvachuli and Gangapurna.
Overnight at Annapurna Base Camp.
Day 07: Annapurna Base Camp (4,130m/13,545ft) to Bamboo
You can spent several minutes taking morning photographs of the mountains and surroundings. After breakfast retrace the same way back from Annapurna to Bamboo. It is an easy downhill walk. There extraordinary landscapes cheer you up.
Overnight at Bamboo.
Day 08: Bamboo to Jhinu Danda (1760m/5770 ft): 5 - 6 hours
Today, you have to walk ups and down trial for the whole day. At the beginning, the trail from Bamboo to Kuldighar is uphill, then there is downhill walk to Chhomrong Khola and again climbing up to Chhomrong. Finally, you have to descend to Jhinu Danda. The mountain views, local flora and fauna make you experience a different. After checking in your room at lodge, you can walk down few minutes to enjoy hot spring bath. It will be a relaxing moment.
Day 09: Trek to Siwai then drive to Pokhara: 6 hours trek, 1 hour drive
This day you will be trekking down to Siwai catch a vehicle there and drive to Pokhara.
Day 10: Drive / Fly to Kathmandu
After breakfast in the morning you will move to Kathmandu. If you fly, there will be time for you to visit some sites in Kathmandu the same day. But driving to Kathmandu, will take 5-6 hours.
Day 11: Full Day Sightseeing in Kathmandu Valley
After your Breakfast your sightseeing program starts at 9 am. There will be a full day Kathmandu valley tour with an English speaking tour guide from Oriental Journeys.
Today you will be visiting UNESCO listed World heritage sites of valley; PASHUPATINATH, BOUDDHANATH, SWAYAMBHU and KATHAMANDU DURBAR SQUARE.
Overnight at same hotel.
Day 12: Departure to your own destination
Farewell and Final Departure to your destination from Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu
- Airport picks up & drops
- 3 meals per day during the trek (Breakfast Lunch & Dinner) including Tea or coffee
- Accommodation on Guest House (Lodge) during the trekking
- 2 night’s Hotel in Kathmandu on Bed & breakfast plan
- An English speaking Guide
- Necessary Porter 1: 2 (one porter for two Guest) the porter will carry (30KG in maximum) your luggage during the trek
- All Government local Taxes
- Annapurna Conservation Area Entry Fees
- (TIMS) Trekker’s information Management System card
- Guide and porter salary
- Guide & Porter insurance during the trekking
- First Aid kit above 6 pax Compulsory from Agency
- Extra services according to the guest per Demand '' Please feel free to inform us''
- Trekking equipment any type of personal expenses
- Alcoholic Beverage drinks, phone and Laundry
- Emergency Rescue and Travel Insurance, Trip Cancellation cost accident or Health, Loss Theft or Damage and personal effects.
- Hot Shower
- Entrance Fees any kind of Temples, Monastery etc
- Tips and Gratuities
- Flight fair Kathmandu/Pokhara/ Kathmandu ( Guest + Guide)
- Airport taxes
Annapurna was my dream since I heard it the first time. ABC trek has become my lifetime memory. The fantastic mountain views and nice mountain people with always smiling face attracted me the most. It was altogether a 12 days itinerary including Kathmandu Valley sightseeing. Machhindra is an amazing guide with a very good sense of humour and very professional. We felt completely safe travelling with Oriental Journeys. They are expert in their profession. We recommend Oriental Journeys to the people visiting Nepal for a quality service. You will feel a total value returned.
Annapurna Base Camp trek was a moderately difficult hiking trek. There were 14 in the group and one guide. We were concerned about safety as one lady got leg cramps but our guide was very professional. Our tour company had managed first aid kids for us. Traveling in a group is somehow difficult as it was hard to maintain the same pace for all. After ABC trek we had planned to visit Bardiya National Park for a wildlife safari. We enjoyed it very much. It was fantastic. We were lucky to track the Royal Bengal Tiger. We highly recommend Oriental Journeys for another traveler. Surely, we will travel with them again in the future.