Tiji Festival Trek
- Grade: Moderate to Strenuous
- Duration: 19 Days
- Destination: Nepal
- Activities: Trekking, Mustang Trek, Special Tours
- Departure: Flexible
- Best Seasons: SPRING - April and May, MONSOON- June to September, AUTUMN- October to November
- Highest Altitude: 4190m
- Start-Ends: Kathmandu - Kathmandu
- Price of Package:USD 2120
The Mustang Tiji Festival Trek is a trip program to experience the trans-Himalaya culture along with Tiji Festival in Upper Mustang. Tiji Festival is a Tibetan Buddhist Festival that Lho-Manthang of Upper Mustang celebrates. The festival of Tiji consists of three-day of Tibetan rituals. The celebration of Tiji is based on a myth of a deity called Dorje Jono who must fight against his devil father to save the Kingdom of Mustang from destruction. The word Tiji comes in existence from two terms “ten che” which means the hope of Buddha Dharma prevailing in all worlds. Hence, one should go for this trek since Tiji Festival is effectively a spring renewal festival.
The trekking trail to Upper Mustang is a spectacular walk through Himalayan terrain. It wildly contrasts with the lush fertile green hills and several river valleys located to the south of the Annapurna range. Mustang is a barren landscape locates at the rain shadow region behind the Himalayas. Furthermore, it has few patches of green fields dotting a lunar landscape but boasts a remarkable spiritual heritage.
Highlights of Mustang Tiji Festival Trek
- Trek along the Kali Gandaki River valley in the shadows of Dhaulagiri and Annapurna
- Pass through white-washed mountain villages
- Walk alongside colorful Buddhist shrines and temples
- Experience life of the fabled walled city of Mustang – Lo Manthang
- Experience vibrant Buddhist celebration of the Tiji Festival with dancing and traditional music at Lho Manang for 3 days.
Uniqueness of Mustang Tiji Festival Trek
Tiji Festival Trek is a combination of Thakali villages, apple yards, and Kaligandaki river valley. In addition to this, it offers an experience of windy and dry weather and Mustang’s fascinating villages alongside several Buddhist shrines and temples. The trail passes through the world’s deepest gorge at Dana. Furthermore, it follows the shadows of the Himalayas most iconic mountains, before arriving at the fabled walled city of Lo-Manthang. The ultimate goal of the trek is 3 days of dancing at the Tiji Festival. During the festival, the town square fills with characters clad as demons in flamboyant robes and hideous masks dancing about, slashing at the air with their swords and intoning spells over onlookers.
The landscape is tough and rough, the weather is windy and the altitude can be hard going. But Oriental Journey’s will take care you fully by the expert hands of its team. The team includes Mountain Leader, Sherpa, and very helpful porters.
Spending the day steeped in the sights is a unique experience to let the sounds pass through the ears and record the movements of this once-in-a-lifetime cultural marvel. The entire ceremony lasts for three days of colorful local costumes, dancing, music, and reenactments from the story of a deity and his demon father.
The local traditions and celebrations, festivals and annual rituals of Upper Mustang follow the Tibetan Lunar calendar. As per the calendar, Tiji festival is scheduled for 30 May, 31 May, and 01 June of 2019 in Upper Mustang
What is the date of the Mustang Tiji Festival Trek for 2020?
The published date of the Tiji festival, locally called Tenchi is 19th MAY to 21st MAY 2020. The festival was celebrated between 31 May to 02 June 2019.
Minimum 2 Persons
Flight from KTM – KTM: USD 2370 per person
Bus from KTM – KTM: USD 2120 per person
- Day 01: 12 May 2020 Arriving Kathmandu 1340m. Overnight at Hotel
- Day 02: 13 May 2020: Drive or fly from Kathmandu to Pokhara 820m/ 5 to 6 hours
- Day 03: 14 May 2020: Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom 2720m 22 minute flight. If not flight due to weather drive to jomsom.
- Day 04: 15 May 2020: Trek to Chele 3400m/5-6 hours. Overnight at Lodge
- Day 05: 16 May 2020: Trek from Chaile to Ghiling 3570m/7-8 hours via Chungsi Cave. Overnight at Lodge
- Day 06: 17 May 2020: Trek from Ghiling to Drakmar 3450m/5-6 hours. Overnight at Lodge
- Day 07: 18 May 2020: Trek from Drakmar to Lo-Manthang 3840m/6-7 hours via Ghar Gompa and Marang-La Pass. Tiji Festival Start
- Day 08: 19 May 2020: First day observe Tiji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
- Day 09: 20 May 2020: Second day observe Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
- Day 10: 21 May 2020: Final observe Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
- Day 11: 22 May 2020:: Trek Lo Manthang (3750m) to Yara (3580m). 5-6 hours
- Day 12: 23 May 2020: Rest Day at Yara visit Luri Gompa. Overnight at Lodge
- Day 13: 24 May 2020:: Trek Yara to Tange (3320).5-6 hours. Overnight at Lodge
- Day 14: 25 May 2020: Trek Tange (3320) to Chhuksang (3310m). 9 - 10 hours
- Day 15: 26 May 2020: Trek from Chhusang to Muktinath 3,710 m / 6-7 hours
- Day 16: 27 May 2020: Day 16: Trek Muktinath to Jomsom 2720m/5 hours. Overnight at Lodge
- Day 17: 28 May 2020: Fly from Jomsom to Pokhara 820m and rest day at Pokhara. Overnight at hotel
- Day 18: 29 May 2020:: Drive back Pokhara to Kathmandu 1340m/5-6 hours. Overnight at Hotel
- Day 19: 30 May 2020: Final departure from Kathmandu
Day 01: 12 May 2020 Arriving Kathmandu 1340m. Overnight at Hotel
The representative of Oriental Journeys will welcome you at the airport and transfer you to the hotel in Kathmandu. After taking rest, a briefing about the program will be provided. Also, the trekking guide will introduce and help you in preparing trekking equipment lists. Overnight stay at hotel in Kathmandu.
Day 02: 13 May 2020: Drive or fly from Kathmandu to Pokhara 820m/ 5 to 6 hours
If you wish to take a flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara, we will drop you at the domestic airport for 25 minutes flight to Pokhara. Or, if you want to take the drive, you can take a tourist bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara. It takes 5 to 6 hours to reach Pokhara. During the drive, you will enjoy and explore the scenic beauty of the rural village, Riverside, and farmlands. Since Pokhara is the best touristic destination, it offers you magnificent views of Mt. Dhaulagiri, Manaslu and Machhapuchhre. Besides this, you will enjoy the boating in Phewa lake in the evening. Overnight stay at hotel in Pokhara.
Day 03: 14 May 2020: Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom 2720m 22 minute flight. If not flight due to weather drive to jomsom.
If the weather permits, we will take a flight early in the morning to Jomsom from Pokhara of about 25 minutes. The flight offers spectacular views of Mountains and beautiful hillside of Nepal. Jomsom is very windy in the afternoon therefore, normally the flight will be carried out before noon. the trekking start from Jomsom. The trekking trail is quite barren with craggy rocks and sand but the land is almost flat. Besides this, you will enjoy picturesque peaks including Nilgiri, Dhaulagiri, Tukuche, and Dhampus on the way. After this, the trekking trails consists of some and up and down trails like sea wave until Kagbeni. Kagbeni is a very beautiful place and it lies on the gorge of the Kaligandaki river. Kagbeni provides you a taste of scenes of Upper Mustang along with its narrow alleyways, tunnels, irrigation canals as well as green fields of wheat and barley. overnight stay at Kagbeni.
Day 04: 15 May 2020: Trek to Chele 3400m/5-6 hours. Overnight at Lodge
Today, we start trekking onwards to the riverbank of Kali Gandaki upstream after a special permit check. Then we enter in the upper mustang trekking trail and follow the east bank of the river. During the trek, we will cross a series of small ridges. After this, the trail leads us through the scenic and picturesque villages surrounded by barley, buckwheat, wheat along with apple orchards. After this, the trek leaves the Kaligandaki valley and climbs steeply up a rocky gully to Chele.
Day 05: 16 May 2020: Trek from Chaile to Ghiling 3570m/7-8 hours via Chungsi Cave. Overnight at Lodge
The trek continues along steep, treeless and dry terrain in Mustang area. You will climb above Samar and descend into a large gorge and go to another valley. After crossing the stream, you will climb up to a ridge at 3800m elevation. Before this, we climb to Taklam La pass (3,624m) through plateaus and narrow stretches with a mesmerizing view of Tilicho peak, Yakawa Kang and Damodar Danda. Nyi Pass is the highest point of the trek and also a far and the southern boundary of Lo. After this, the trail drops steeply to the whitewashed buildings of Ghiling.
Day 06: 17 May 2020: Trek from Ghiling to Drakmar 3450m/5-6 hours. Overnight at Lodge
The trail from Ghiling to Drakmar descends below the blue, red and grey cliff to a steel bridge across the Tangmar Chu. Then you need to climb a plateau and pass the longest and spectacular Mani Wall in Nepal. From the end of the wall, the trail takes you to the east to the village of Charang. At the eastern end of the village, there are huge Dzong and red Gompa. Where we found an excellent collection of Statutes and Thankas as well as large paintings of seated Buddha.
hankas as well as many large paintings of seated Buddha’s.
Day 07: 18 May 2020: Trek from Drakmar to Lo-Manthang 3840m/6-7 hours via Ghar Gompa and Marang-La Pass. Tiji Festival Start
The descending trail is still continuing and it is still about 125 m from Charang and crosses the Tsarang Chu. After this, the trail follows the track to a carin on a ridge at 3850m elevation then you will enter the Tholung village. From here, the trail ascends gently to the windy pass of Lo with 3850 m elevation. From here you can see the Lo-Manathang Valley (3700m) , beautiful views of the walled city on the Tibetan border. Again the short descent leads into the plain of Aspiration and the tail crosses a stream and climbs up onto the platueu of Lo-Manthang.
Day 08: 19 May 2020: First day observe Tiji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
Today is the first day of the festival. You will get a chance to observe every activity during the festival. Early in the afternoon, horns resounded, announcing the two twelve foot copper duncens, with thier elephantine blurting, followed by two double reeled horns, all accompanied by drum and cymbals.
Next, an ancient and enormous Thanka three stories high was unrolled down the entire south wall of the square. The Thanka portrayed Padma Sambhava or (Guru Rimpoche) who brought this ceremony to Tibet in the 8th century.”
Late afternoon, in high wind and blowing dust, eleven lamas in maroon and gold, wearing high red hats, came from the palace and take their places along the wall beneath the thanka, with Tashi Tenzing on the elevated seat just in the center. The masked dancers start the portrayal of the Tiji myth then Dorje Jono repels the demon through the power of his magical dancing. When the dances end, Dorje Jono kills the demon, after which his people are relieved of their plague of misfortunes, water becomes plentiful once more, and the balance and harmony of existence are restored.
Day 09: 20 May 2020: Second day observe Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
On the second day of Tiji, We will see Tibetan women in their traditional dress and colorful jewelry, monks in their robes and dancers in elaborate costumes. The King of Mustang “wears a whole crown of tiny river pearls set off by dozens of large red coralline tones interspersed with matched ornaments of turquoise. The costumes and masks, the twelve-foot horns, the gold cups of wheat, the butter cakes, the snow peaks and wind and dust and sun, the mehti, snow leopard, snow pigeons, saligrams, the dying glacier and the desert ruins, the drunks and rajas and foreigners, the dogs and yaks.
Day 10: 21 May 2020: Final observe Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
On the third day, Tiji ends with the ceremonial destruction of the evil remains, represented by some long black yak hair and red torma cakes minced to a dark red gurry. The demons red remnants are set out on an old tiger skin, where-upon they are attacked by bow and arrow, slings, and the old guns. The poor devils remains are over- turned upon the ground, each time to a wild cannonade from the old muzzle-loaders and a wave of cheers and smoke.
Day 11: 22 May 2020:: Trek Lo Manthang (3750m) to Yara (3580m). 5-6 hours
When the festival is over, you will trek back to Lo Manthang. Overnight stay at Yara.
Day 12: 23 May 2020: Rest Day at Yara visit Luri Gompa. Overnight at Lodge
Day 13: 24 May 2020:: Trek Yara to Tange (3320).5-6 hours. Overnight at Lodge
Day 14: 25 May 2020: Trek Tange (3320) to Chhuksang (3310m). 9 - 10 hours
Day 15: 26 May 2020: Trek from Chhusang to Muktinath 3,710 m / 6-7 hours
Day 16: 27 May 2020: Day 16: Trek Muktinath to Jomsom 2720m/5 hours. Overnight at Lodge
Day 17: 28 May 2020: Fly from Jomsom to Pokhara 820m and rest day at Pokhara. Overnight at hotel
Day 18: 29 May 2020:: Drive back Pokhara to Kathmandu 1340m/5-6 hours. Overnight at Hotel
Day 19: 30 May 2020: Final departure from Kathmandu
- Airport pick up and Drop by private car/van/bus.
- 3 nights 3 star accommodation in Kathmandu with bed and breakfast basis.
- 2 nights 2 star accommodation in Pokhara with bed and breakfast basis.
- Your standard meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the trekking.
- All necessary paper works and conservation entry permits.
- Special Trekking Permit US$ 500 per person for 10 days (the above price includes
- 12 days valid trekking permit from Kagbeni to Kagbeni. If you would wish to stay
- more than 12 days in restricted area, you are subjected to extra charge for extra days (US$ 50 per day / per person).
- Annapurna conservation fee
- Pokhara - Jomsom - Pokhara flight fare.
- Kathmandu - Pokhara - Kathmandu by Flight OR Bus
- All accommodations in lodges/tea houses or provided tents during the trek as
- mentioned in the trek type.
- An experienced Government licensed guide and porters (1 porter for 2 peoples).
- Salary, Food, Drinks, Accommodation, Transportation and Insurance for the Guide and Porter.
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- Fare well dinner with typical Nepali restaurant
- All government taxes.
- International air fare to Nepal.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu & Pokhara.
- Personal clothing & equipments.
- Nepal entry visa fee $40. ( during 60 days from the date of issue.)
- Travel insurance and helicopter charter in any cases but if you want us to arrange
- Items of personal nature. ( Personal Expenses)
- Any kinds of alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, phone call, internet, laundry etc.
- Tips for your crews ( Guide, porter and driver)
Sorry, no testimonials found.