Honey Hunting Tour
- Grade: Moderate
- Duration: 8 Days
- Destination: Nepal
- Activities: Special Tours
- Departure: Flexible
- Best Seasons: Mid April - Mid May & November- First week of December
- Start-Ends: Kathmandu - Kathmandu
- Price of Package:USD 1200
Among many thrilling adventure activities in Nepal, Honey Hunting Tour is the most amazing and surprising tour. The high hills abode several vertical cliffs presenting a safe hive chamber for the wild honey bees. There are five different species of Honeybee available in Nepal. The wild honey bees make the beehives hanging on the vertical rocky cliffs. The local ethnic communities have a long practice of cliff honey hunting.
It requires a special skill of rock climbing and beekeeping. However, local honey hunters are practised to hunt within limited tools & resources. Along with the honey hunting activity, there is the chance of viewing and experiencing the traditional honey harvesting technique of Gurung ethnic people. Normally, the locals harvest the cliff honey twice a year (spring and autumn).
The traditional way of honey hunting tour is an adventure activity that uses almost no special tools and techniques and safety measures. Generally, the honey hunters are Gurung people. They are practising the tradition for generations.
Extracting honey from rock bees that live in steep slope is an age-old tradition of some of the indigenous Nepali communities like Gurungs and Magars. Among many mountain cliffs in Nepal, the Budhi Gandaki valley in Manaslu region and the Cliffs in Annapurna Conservation Area have a notable presence of wild bee. This species of bee makes hive on the vertical slopes of such cliff. Hunting cliff honey is a risky job. Therefore, most of those cliffs got names after the honey hunters who died while harvesting.
The activity of cliff Honey hunting tour has an old tradition in the upper hilly region of Nepal. In past days, the local people used to organize a religious ceremony before collecting honey from those cliffs. To protect themselves from the attack of honeybees and any misfortune, they conduct such ceremonies. The locals celebrate the honey hunting tour as a festival by offering flowers, grains, and sheep to God before hunting. Furthermore, they organize worship to respect the hard work of honeybees and their contribution to the survival of human beings.
Honey hunting tour is a thrilling experience!
Watching honey hunters at work is a thrilling scene. Only the experienced villagers can participate in this activity by hanging from cliffs as tall as 300m with the help of homemade ropes and Bamboo ladders. The lead honey hunter collects honey in the bucket from the beehives and passes down to another person. This wild honey has a medical purpose with a great deal of money in the international market.
Nepal Honey hunting tour is still part of traditional livelihood that is why it is more interesting for tourists to know the Nepali traditional honey hunting knowledge and skills. The trekking routes to and from the honey bee hives are exciting and breathtaking. Honey hunting in Nepal also enables visitors to take in the beauty and magnificence of the Nepali landscape and wildlife. At the same time, tourists can experience the culture. Thus, it adds more colour to our delight. Honey hunting tour is the best opportunity to view and experience the traditional method of wild honey harvesting and hunting which is worth a visit.
Oriental Journeys is flexible enough to customize the trip as per the interest, choice, and availability of the traveller.
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu
- Day 02: Sightseeing in Kathmandu Valley
- Day 03: Drive to Khudi/Bulbule from Kathamndu - 6 hours drive
- Day 04: Trek to Honey hunting site
- Day 05: Enjoy Honey Hunting
- Day 06: Trek back to Beshisahar
- Day 07: Drive back to Kathmandu
- Day 08: Final Departure
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu
You will be met by a representative of Oriental Journeys at the airport and transferred to the hotel. After having rest and refreshment, a pre-tour briefing will be given. At the same day, the guide will introduce you and he/she will accompany you throughout the tour. Overnight stay at Kathmandu.
Day 02: Sightseeing in Kathmandu Valley
You have a full day to explore Kathmandu's bustling city and significant landmarks. Today you will get a chance to explore the city's two most important world heritage listed spiritual sites i.e. Pashupatinath; Nepal's the most sacred Hindu temple and an important cremation site and Boudhanath Stupa: the largest Buddhist stupas in Nepal and the most sacred Tibetan Buddhist shrine. In addition to this, you could wander through the shops of the tourist hub of Kathmandu: Thamel and explore some of the significant sites of the city such as Swayambhunath.
Day 03: Drive to Khudi/Bulbule from Kathamndu - 6 hours drive
Today, you will drive early in the morning from Kathmandu to Khudi (790m) via Beshishar, Lamjung along the Prithvi highway. It takes 6 hours drive to reach Khudi. During the drive, you will get the pleasant views of the rural village and their lifestyles on the way. Overnight stay at Teahouse.
Day 04: Trek to Honey hunting site
Trek to the Honey Hunting site. You will have lunch together with the local villagers. You will have time to talk with the honey hunters. The hunter will share their experience with you.
Day 05: Enjoy Honey Hunting
You will enjoy scary and adventurous Honey Hunting. The century-long practice is a thrilling moment for any of the foreign visitors. You can shoot all the ongoing activities. After the successful expedition, you got a chance to taste it. In the evening, return to the tea house for rest. Enjoy dinner in the local style.
Day 06: Trek back to Beshisahar
Today, you will hike and drive back to Beshisahar. The downhill hike is wonderful to observe the valley below.
Day 07: Drive back to Kathmandu
From Beshisahar, the team will catch the vehicle to Kathmandu. In the evening, you will have time to visit the shops at Thamel for souvenir shopping. Oriental Journeys invites for the farewell dinner. You will be enjoying the Nepali food with the cultural program together with a representative from Oriental Journeys.
Day 08: Final Departure
You might have free time in the morning. You will be transported to International Airport for your departure to the next destination/homeland.
Traveller’s note: for late flights you have the option to go sightseeing with our guide to some heritage sites of Kathmandu, please inquire us during your booking.
- Airport / Hotel / Airport transfers by private vehicle.
- Hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu including breakfast.
- Guided Tour of Kathmandu City with an expert tour guide and private vehicle
- Group medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- guest house/homestay accommodation during the honey hunting tour
- hiking guide, honey hunter expert, honey hunting crews,
- daily meals during the tour ( breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- all needed royalties and permit
- Comprehensive pre-departure information and trip dossiers
- Special souvenir
- Welcome/Farewell Nepali Dinner in Kathmandu
- All necessary paper works, office Service charge and all Government Taxes
- Local transportation to and from the starting and ending points of the tour by Tourist bus/Private Car/Van depends on Clients requirement and budget
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee, you can get Nepal visa up on arrival in the Airport.
- International Airfare/Airport tax, City tour Sightseeing entry fees.
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks, hot water, hot and cold showers.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, telephone calls, sweets, snacks, beverages and bar bills, camera battery charging.
- Travel Insurance
- Tips for tour/ trekking staffs and driver
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section.
Sorry, no testimonials found.